Westpac today announced a relief package to assist customers who are suffering hardship as a result of natural disasters across the country, including bushfires in southern New South Wales and south east and south west Victoria, Cyclone Marcus in the Northern Territory and floods in northern Queensland.
Westpac Group General Manager Consumer Bank Bernadette Inglis said the bank’s Disaster Relief Package offers immediate financial help to customers affected by natural disasters.
“Our thoughts are with those communities right across Australia who have been impacted by these severe natural disaster events. We know that times like this can be extremely hard emotionally, physically as well as financially, which is why we are committed to helping our customers and communities in any way we can,” Ms Inglis said.
“By offering support to our customers we hope to help ease any concerns they may have about their financial commitments so they can instead concentrate on their loved ones and the pressing issues at hand.”
The Westpac Disaster Relief Package offers:
- Affected customers with Westpac home loans may apply to defer repayments for up to three months.
- Affected businesses with existing loans can request loan restructuring without incurring the usual bank establishment fees.
- Affected credit card customers may request an emergency credit limit increase.
- Affected credit card customers may apply to defer repayments to their card for up to 90 days.
- Customers wishing to purchase replacement goods may apply for a personal loan at a discounted interest rate with no establishment fee.
- Westpac will waive interest rate adjustments for affected customers wishing to withdraw term deposits.
- Affected Westpac customers with Home and Contents insurance may be eligible to receive assistance including emergency funds and temporary accommodation.
Customers experiencing severe hardship will also be offered a halt on all interest accrual on unsecured credit products for a period of up to three months.
The disaster relief package is available for customers impacted by bushfires affecting communities in southern NSW and south east and south west Victoria, Cyclone Marcus in the Northern Territory and last week’s floods in northern Queensland.
Customers needing assistance are encouraged to contact Westpac directly. For financial assistance: 1800 067 497 Mon – Fri 8:30am –7:30pm (AEST), Sat 9:30am – 6:00pm (AEST)
All affected customers should contact us on 1300 369 989 so that we can assist with temporary accommodation and emergency funds. Claims can be lodged 24 hours a day, 7 days a week by calling this number.
Our assessors are on the ground and ready to assist all customers in the worst affected areas. Customers should not put themselves at risk by going into affected areas to retrieve insurance documents or to take photographs. We understand proof of loss may not be possible and we will accept the word of customers in these instances. Credit criteria and terms and conditions apply.
Westpac Home & Contents Insurance is issued by Westpac General Insurance Limited and distributed by Westpac Banking Corporation ABN 33 007 457 141 AFSL and Australian credit licence 233714 (the Bank). The Bank does not guarantee the insurance.